Here are a few suggestions for fun things to do in the neighborhood in the next couple weeks:
- Check out the free film screening of Martin Scorsese’s Italianamerican on 16mm at the Seward Park Library this Wednesday, April 5th at 6:00pm. In one of his most personal works, Martin Scorsese sits down with his parents, Catherine and Charles, in their New York apartment for a free-flowing discussion that touches on family history, the immigrant experience, and the meaning of Italian American identity.
- Chose from an array of performances in the 18th annual La MaMa Moves! Dance Festival opening on Thursday, April 6th and running through April 30th. Curated by Nicky Paraiso, the 2023 festival features new and recent works by 12 choreographers and companies with varied approaches to performance. “Utilizing movement, storytelling, visuals, and sound, the works in this year’s festival reflect the artists’ engagement with the times we live in, questioning, challenging, and inspiring conversation through dance.”
- Join Friends of Corlears Hook Park for their first-ever egg hunt on Saturday, April 8th. Hundreds of treat-filled plastic eggs will be hidden throughout the park for kids to collect. They also promise an array of lawn games and arts and crafts for families to enjoy. More info and pre-registration on their website HERE.
- Sign up for a chance to participate in the next installment of the ICP PhotoSLAM with the theme of “Mother Earth.” During the open mic event on Thursday, April 13th at 6:30pm, photographers, the ICP community and audience members are invited to compete in a live story telling competition, driven by photographs.
- Celebrate The Clemente turning 30 with a benefit performance and world premiere of Tu Nombre Verdadero on April 14th at 8pm. The piece has music and lyrics by Rita Indiana and libretto and direction by Noelia Quintero-Herencia. “A post pandemic abstract tale that visits experiences of illness and death in the context of artistic practices and their markets”
Find more local event on our calendar and submit your own HERE.