If you’ve been walking around the neighborhood today, you’ve probably noticed those articulated city buses stranded along Houston Street and Bowery. Jeanne Wilke of Downtown Independent Democrats sent us this photo — evidence of bus mayhem! When she was on Community Board 2, Wilke remembers telling city officials these accordion buses were not such a great idea on downtown’s narrow streets — even in nice weather. True, we’re making it through one of the biggest storms in New York’s history. But it does seem these monsters are ill-equipped for snow duty.
Essex Street, next to Seward Park. Photo by Peter Rojas, via yfrog.
More opening/closing news – food, drink and shopping edition:
- Fontana’s will be open by 3pm. Free Wifi. Serving Hot Chocolate, coffee and Hot toddies!
- Moo Shoes on Orchard hopes to be open by 1 or 2pm.
- Roni-Sue’s Chocolates is closed.
- Berkli Parc, the new coffee shop at Allen & Delancey, is open. Fresh scones are coming out of the oven!
- Northern Spy is closed for lunch but serving dinner.
- Dora on East Broadway. Build the first snowman outside their shop and your coffee is FREE for a week!
Photo by Jennifer Strom.
Bicycle blues — Ludlow & Delancey. Thanks to Jennifer Strom for this one.
Photo by Florence Eng.
Thanks to Florence Eng, who noticed this city bus having more than a little trouble near 3rd Street and Avenue A.
As you might have guessed, alternate side parking rules are suspended today and you don’t need to worry about feeding those parking meters! Early snow total reports: around 15-20 inches. What’s opened and closed? Here’s a first look:
- Chinese Planning Council programs closed today and tomorrow
- All Henry Street Settlement youth and senior programs are closed. There is limited programming at their Workforce Development Center and our Community Consultation Center.
- Educational Alliance: all locations closed, other than the programs at Sirovich, residential programs, and limited programming at the 14th Street Y. Patrons of the 14th Street Y should check that website for updates: www.14streety.org.
- All public library branches are closed
- The New Museum is closed.
- The Lower East Side Visitor Center (LES BID) is closed.