Roni Sue and Allison Kave.
Our friends at the Hester Street Fair are gearing up for another fun-filled Saturday on the Lower East Side. You may have already heard the Snap Food Truck, a new venture featuring Chicago-style hot dogs, will be part of this weekend’s fair. Today, we profile another food-centric vendor: Allison Kave of First Prize Pies.
Allison’s mom is Essex Street chocolate maven Roni-Sue Kave. Her brother, Corwin, is the executive chef of Fatty Crab (yes, you want to score an invitation to dinner at their house!) Growing up, Allison says, Roni-Sue’s kitchen improvisations made a big impact on the family. Experimenting with different cuisines provided her mom with a creative outlet and instilled in Allison and Corwin an appreciation for imaginative cooking and baking.
First Prize Pies returns to the Hester Street Fair this weekend.
Lots of neighborhood food news this week. Here’s today’s installment:
- Allison Kave of First Prize Pies talks to Huffington Post about baking 50 pies a week for sale at Roni-Sue’s in Essex Market and online, plus dozens of minis for the Hester Street Fair, where she returns on Saturday.
- Speaking of the Hester Street Fair, the full line-up for this weekend–with plenty of sweets in the mix–is here.
- Continuing a busy weekend of outdoor artisan food events, the New Amsterdam Market debuts its 2011 season Sunday.
- Time Out New York kicks off its On the Rooftop summer series Tuesday night at Above Allen, at the Thompson LES hotel.
- Roma Pizza at Essex and Delancey is closed for two months for renovations.