A fire broke out this morning in an air shaft at 40 Ludlow St., a tenement located on the block between Grand and Hester streets. There were no reports of injuries, but most apartments suffered some damage.
Firefighters busted through doors and walls to get to the flames. TLD contributor H. Spencer Young lives in the building and snapped the photos posted below. He reports it was a chaotic scene; there was smoke on most floors and a lot of water damage. So at least some residents will likely be displaced while repairs are made. The building is home to Ludlow Studios, the special events space.
UPDATED 2:45 p.m. We heard from Bjorn Brandt, who runs Ludlow Studios and manages the building. It looks like some trash caught on fire after someone discarded a cigarette in the shaftway. There’s water and smoke damage, as well as broken glass in a few windows.