Thanks to Lo-Down reader Carol Markel for sending us this photo, showing smoke rising into the air, after a small fire broke out in a Grand Street tenement. Firefighters responded to 291 Grand (on the corner of Eldridge Street), around 4 p.m.
This evening, we were told the fire started on the roof – but the Fire Marshal has not yet identified a cause. No one was injured. The grocery store on the ground floor of the building was operating tonight, as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened.