Last night there was a fire in an 18th floor apartment of the Seward Park Cooperative on Grand Street (it was in 268 East Broadway/near Montgomery). Resident C Merry reports on her blog, LES NYC Window, that she heard two “explosion sounds” and that a burning object fell on to a walkway. The Fire Department, located just a block away on Pitt Street, arrived quickly. The fire was extinguished in just a few minutes. We’re checking to see if anyone was hurt. C Merry also posted the photo after the jump. Jac Zagoory sent us the photo from the lobby of the Seward Park building.
UPDATE 11:01AM: Seward Park General Manager Frank Durant said he could not discuss any details without the permission of the people who live in the apartment. Witnesses say two residents were hospitalized overnight (see oshma’s comment below). We’ve decided to refrain from using their names unless/until they give us their permission.
UPDATE 5:24pm: One resident remains hospitalized tonight but is going to be okay. The apartment is very badly damaged.