There was some excitement on Clinton Street last night. Here was the scene after a fire was put out at DoDomPa, the restaurant at 71 Clinton Street. According to witnesses on the block, the fire happened in a wall adjacent to the bathroom. Firefighters were on the scene quickly and extinguished the blaze.
According to a report on Channel 11, three firefighters suffered minor injuries during a fire at 75 Mott Street yesterday. The fire started in a third floor apartment around 4:30 p.m. and spread to the rest of the floor, but firefighters extinguished the flames quickly.
Investigators said there was a lot of debris in the apartment, piled five feet high. The firefighters tossed a lot of it out windows. “We need(ed) to remove everything that (was) burning from the apartment, that (was) still smoldering — get it out in the event that the fire lights up again,” deputy fire chief John Esposito said.
Department of Buildings records show three violations at 75 Mott because the boilers had not been inspected.
About 65 firefightewrs responded to a blaze at 157 Rivington, near Clinton Street, late last night. The call came in at 1:16 a.m. according to a FDNY spokesperson. The fire started in a second floor apartment. One resident was injured and transported in serious but stable condition to an area hospital.
We’re on the scene at 318 Madison Street, where firefighters are putting out a fire inside an apartment building. More to come…
UPDATE 10:50 a.m. The fire was contained to one apartment in the Vladeck Houses. No one was injured and firefighters extinguished the flames quickly. There was a huge response for a small fire; at least 40 firefighters were on the scene. More photos after the jump.
There’s an update this morning on the murder of two women at 83 Henry Street nearly two weeks ago. Firefighters were called to the scene on the morning of June 29 only to discover that the women had been shot in the head. The fire had apparently been set to cover up the crime. Today AM New York reports investigators believe one of the victims may have owed money; they are focusing on an underground credit system in Chinatown.
Neither 70-year old Xiao L. Li nor 36-year old Hua Chen lived at 83 Henry. The New York Post identified the apartment building as a “known prostitution location.” According to AM New York, however, “Investigators now are downplaying reports that Chen was connected to prostitution, although she may have known someone who was.”
At the time of the killing, Police said, Chen had “money in her possession” that might have come from the credit system, which is known as the Hui. It’s existed in Chinatown for decades. Participants contribute to a pool of money and they are able to withdraw funds with interest. Investigators are apparently looking into rumors that someone in the Hui feared that Chen might leave the country without repaying the money she had borrowed.
Firemen responded to a small fire at 101 Stanton Street this afternoon.
At around 12:30 this afternoon, firetrucks rushed to the corner of Ludlow and Stanton streets after a small fire started in a wall on the bottom floor wall of 101 Stanton Street, occupied by Pimps & Pinups boutique salon. The mini blaze was immediately extinguished, but five FDNY companies turned up to lend a hand. No one was harmed during the incident.
The only apparent casualties: annoyed drivers who got stuck in place on Ludlow Street between Stanton and Houston while the trucks blocked their path. The folks at Pimps & Pinups didn’t seem to mind the incident much; haircuts continued while firemen walked in and out of the salon.
83 Henry Street, Friday afternoon. Photo: kayanch.
More details emerged over the weekend following Friday’s apparent double execution and fire at 83 Henry Street. Firefighters were called to the scene around 10:40 a.m. They only discovered after pulling two women from a burning first floor apartment that both victims had been shot in the head. The fire was set to cover up the grisly crime.
Police are searching for the suspect, who is described as a young Asian man seen running from the building Friday morning. A witness said he was wearing gloves.
The two victims have been identified. They are Xiao L. Li (70 years old); and Yong Hua Chen (36 years old). Sources told the Post the building is a “known prostitution location.” Li lived on Bayard Street. Chen reportedly lived in an apartment on Henry Street, but not the one that was set ablaze. Neither victim had a criminal record. “I never met whoever was renting that apartment,” building super Velentine Rodriguez told the Post (he’s responsible for several other buildings in the area). “I have no idea if one or 10 people live there,” he said.
Police are reviewing surveillance tape from a hotel one block away.
Two people were killed this morning after a fire erupted in a building at 83 Henry Street. Firefighters received word of the blaze at about 10:40. The fire apparently started on the first floor of the seven story tenement, which is located near Pike Street. The victims had already died by the time firefighters arrived. No word yet on the cause.
This afternoon at the Vladeck Houses. Photos by Damien Acevedo.
Thanks to Damien Acevedo for sending in these photos from the Vladeck Houses, where an apartment fire broke out earlier today. Firefighters were on the scene at about 12:30 p.m. We’re making calls but please let us know if you have info from the scene.
A fire broke out in a second floor apartment at 51 Mott Street (Bayard) yesterday afternoon. This morning, a fire department spokesperson tells us no one was injured. The Red Cross came to the scene shortly after the fire started, at around 2 p.m. The residents of one apartment were displaced. @newyorkist observed that six fire engines responded; firefighters were on the roof to extinguish the flames. The video you see posted above is from is from YouTube user Handstand2012. There’s a small restaurant, Teariffic, on the ground floor. We’ll see if they’re open for business today.
Firefighters converaged on Canal Street this morning, responding to a fire at les Enfants Terribles.
More now on this morning’s fire at Afro-French restaurant Les Enfants Terribles. According to one of the owners, it was an electrical fire originating in the area around the cash register and computer at the far end of the bar. Damage from the fire itself appeared to be minimal but there’s water everywhere; cleaning up and reopening is likely to be a costly proposition. Thankfully, no one was hurt. Les Enfants Terribles, 37 Canal Street, has been in business since 2003. Click through for more photos.
We’re just back from 72 Hester Street, the home of Mendel Goldberg Fabrics, one of the Lower East Side’s oldest retail businesses. The worst seems to be over after a fire that broke out about noon. In this photo you see two women who were rescued from the building a short time ago. Firefighters broke through the main floor and contained the fire, which apparently started in the basement. See more photos after the jump.
Investigators say yesterday’s fire at Masaryk Towers was sparked by an electric space heater. The Post reports that the heater was too close to “combustible material or or near a bed.” The fire started in a 16th floor apartment at 89 Columbia Street, shortly after 11 a.m. The flames shot out the windows – and flames spread to the upper floors of the 21 story building.
Two women who lived in the apartment were treated for smoke inhalation. According to the Post, two dogs died in an 18th floor apartment. As we indicated yesterday, 10 residents were displaced by the fire. The Red Cross was helping them find temporary accommodations.
About 130 firefighters fought the blaze, which was brought under control in about an hour-and-a-half.
Six Lowa posted video on YouTube showing the flames coming out of the 16th floor window, lapping the building exterior and spreading to floors 17-19.
We’re just back from the three-alarm fire at Masaryk Towers. More than 100 firefighters responded to the building on Columbia Street. We’re told the blaze, which started on the 16th floor, is now out. Red Cross staff are on the scene (or soon will be) to assist any displaced families. We have not heard of any injuries as of yet. Stay tuned for updates.