Here are a few local happenings that are on our radar:
- Catch NOTHING#122: a bluff at Performance Space NY on May 19 and 20 at 7pm. the third and final part of Autumn Knights’s investigation into the Italian concept of “dolce far niente,” the sweetness of nothingness. This performance features Knight alone on stage responding improvisationally to the space, its architecture, its audience, and pointedly launching from the potentiality—both the sweetness and desolation—of nothingness.
- Immerse yourself in Wangechi Mutu’s creative world with an afternoon of conversation at the New Museum: Mutu X Music: Afrobeat, Hip Hop, Funk, and the Art of Wangechi Mutu exploring how Mutu’s visual strategies of collage, combination, and mutation relate to sonic practices across musical genres, from 1970s Afrobeat to contemporary hip hop.
- Join Artists Alliance at Cuchifritos Gallery on Saturday, May 20 from 3pm – 6pm, for the closing reception of Levani’s imago of a queer artist*. The afternoon will begin at 3p with an exhibition walk-through led by the artist, followed by a reading from the forthcoming publication Cosmic Bottom by Brazilian-born poet, artist, scholar, and educator Lucas de Lima, and the drag performance Crown by multidisciplinary artist Passa Flora.
- Check out Images Foraged – a city slicker’s call to honor the wild, a photographic installation by local resident Linda Mittel, opening on Saturday, May 20 at 4pm, as part of the Clemente Open Studios.
- Save the date for Pathetic Happening at St. Mark’s Church on May 28 at 3pm — a read and performed version of the entirety of Pathetic Literature (edited by Eileen Myles) from Grove Press, a nearly 700 page volume of poets and fiction writers and playwrights and nonfiction from all over the world, and all eras.
Find more events on our calendar and submit your own HERE.