The developers responsible for the Essex Crossing project have nearly completed demolition of the former Essex Street Market building on the south side of Delancey Street. Now they’re making preparations to take down another structure within the six acre development site. In the past day, crews started to put up fencing around the old fire house bordering Broome, Clinton and Suffolk streets. Demolition is expected to begin later this month.
The fire house sits on site 5 of Essex Crossing, which will one day be home to a 15-story residential and commercial building, as well as a 15,000 sq. ft. park and a possible public school. A spokesperson for Delancey Street Associates, the development consortium, tells us the city has approved full sidewalk closure around the northern half of the site during demolition and construction. Two tenements at 400-402 Grand St., on the southern portion of the block, will be demolished at a later date.
The Arte Moderne fire house, built in 1937 by the Public Works Administration, was once home to Engine Company 17 and Hook & Ladder Company 18. In recent years, it was used by a movie props business. The first phase of Essex Crossing, slated to begin construction during the summer, is focused on site 5, site 2 (where the vacant Essex Market building was located), site 1 (on Ludlow Street) and site 6 (on the northeast corner of Clinton and Broome streets).
If you haven’t checked it out lately, here’s what’s left of the market building. Please remember that the Essex Street market on the north side of Delancey Street remains open for business.