A midweek roundup of celebrations and libations.
- Taquitoria, the late-night taquito joint at 168 Ludlow St., is celebrating its first birthday with limited edition taquitos made by guest chefs. Starting today, through Sept. 23, chef Marc Forgione kicks off the series with a chili lobster version. Sept. 24-30, chef Phet Schwader of Khe-Yo continues the series with his caramel pork belly taquitos with bang bang (a fiery chili sauce) and sriracha mayo. The special taquitos are sold in threes for $6, or five for $9.
- Pig & Khao, Leah Cohen’s Asian fusion restaurant on Clinton Street, is also having a birthday. To celebrate its second year, the team is throwing a party in the style of an adult carnival, with magic shows, clowns and tarot card readers, along with DJs, popcorn and cotton candy. The main attraction at the Oct. 5 event is unlimited suckling pig lechon, side dishes and unlimited draft beer. The fun kicks off at 3 p.m. and runs until 10 p.m. Tickets are $40 and available via EventBrite.
- CBS has picked up a proposed sitcom based on the real-life friendship and entrepreneurship of the guys behind the Meatball Shop, Deadline reports.
- Forbes magazine discovers something readers of The Lo-Down already knew: Boulton & Watt serves a good weekday lunch.
- Bedford + Bowery braves the beverage menu at Boilermaker, the reboot of the short-lived Golden Cadillac, the ’70s-themed bar that crashed and burned at First Street and First Avenue in short order. In addition to the namesake beer-and-a-shot combo, the cocktails include bourbon with vanilla cream soda–on tap.
- Oddfellows Ice Cream Co., the new East Village artisan ice cream parlor we profiled in our July/August print edition, will now deliver pints (and milkshakes and other frozen treats) to your door, via Caviar.
- In case you were wondering about those “local, upstate grits,” a linguist decodes the menu at Root & Bone for the New York Times.
- If you’re a fan of the East Village mainstay Angelica’s Kitchen, the restaurant could use your support right now.