This week on the LES restaurant and bar beat: new and existing ramen, an in-depth chef interview, where to drink while you’re watching the hockey playoffs, and Calvin Trillin eats at Russ & Daughters Cafe.
- Ochado Ramen and Tapas, the Asian fusion spot we previewed in April, is now open for business in the former home of Spur Tree at 76 Orchard St. Hours are noon to midnight daily.
- Yunnan Kitchen chef Doron Wong sat down for an extended interview with the Village Voice to discuss his adventurous approach to cooking at Erika Chou’s Clinton Street restaurant (which also just added a pastry chef).
- Hockey fever in local bars: Houston Street’s new craft beer and whiskey bar Fools Gold is offering all New-York-brewed beers for $5 during the Stanley Cup Finals. Fontana’s on Eldridge Street has $10 pitchers of Rolling Rock and $7 beer-and-a-shot specials. Libation and Hair of the Dog are also offering game-time deals.
- Critic Robert Sietsema and Calvin Trillin, “a reigning saint,” share a meal at Russ & Daughters Cafe for a piece in Eater.
- Serious Eats credits Ivan Orkin for “changing New York’s ramen cuisine.”