Storm Aftermath: Tuesday Morning Update
We are out collecting information about the neighborhood this morning and will post updates as we have them. What we know so far:
- There are many trees down, especially in the blocks closest to the river.
- All power is out from 39th Street south; Con Ed officials have not provided a timeline for restoring electricity to Lower Manhattan. A transformer explosion at a plant in the East Village caused the outage, company officials said early this morning.
- All public transit is halted; no estimates for service resuming yet.
- Most neighborhood businesses are closed, including the two Fine Fare grocery stores. However, Cowboy Pizza on Clinton Street is open and serving scones and cookies this morning.
- The city’s all-news AM radio channel, 1010 WINS, was damaged in the storm, but is temporarily broadcasting on FM 92.3 for those residents with battery-powered radios.
If you are out and about, stay safe and send us reports if you can: firstname.lastname@example.org.