- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img

Follow-up: Space Heater Causes Fire at Masaryk Towers

Must Read

Investigators say yesterday’s fire at Masaryk Towers was sparked by an electric space heater. The Post reports that the heater was too close to “combustible material or or near a bed.”  The fire started in a 16th floor apartment at 89 Columbia Street, shortly after 11 a.m. The flames shot out the windows – and flames spread to the upper floors of the 21 story building.

Two women who lived in the apartment were treated for smoke inhalation. According to the Post, two dogs died in an 18th floor apartment. As we indicated yesterday, 10 residents were displaced by the fire. The Red Cross was helping them find temporary accommodations.

About 130 firefighters fought the blaze, which was brought under control in about an hour-and-a-half.

Six Lowa posted video on YouTube showing the flames coming out of the 16th floor window, lapping the building exterior and spreading to floors 17-19.

 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest News

Loisaida Festival Returns to the Streets Memorial Day Weekend

The 35th Annual Loisaida Festival returns to Avenue C, between 5th and 12th Streets, on Sunday, May 29 from...

More Articles Like This