Followup: Fatal Shooting at Alfred E. Smith Houses

We have a few more details concerning the overnight shooting at the Smith Houses that left a 30-year-old man dead.

Alfred E. Smith Houses; Sunsay, November 10, 2013.

Alfred E. Smith Houses; Sunday, November 10, 2013.

Early this afternoon, NYPD forensic trucks were still parked in the walkway at the public housing development near the Brooklyn Bridge.  As previously reported, the man was shot three times in the torso at around 4 a.m.  He was pronounced dead at New York-Presbyterian-Lower Manhattan Hospital. A short time ago, we spoke with Aixa Torres, the longtime tenant president at Smith.  While she, and many others, know the victim’s identity,  it’s not being disclosed just yet.  Torres said police are contacting his family; she did indicate he is a father.

Torres said the shooting happened between two Smith towers – 7 and 15 St. James Place.  She did not hear the shots overnight, but the victim’s clothes were still strewn about when Torres left for church this morning.  After a long wait, the New York City Housing Authority finally installed security cameras at Smith this past spring. Today Torres noted that there are cameras in the vicinity of last night’s shooting, scaffolding might have been in the way.

Police have not arrested a suspect in the shooting.

UPDATE 11/12 The victim’s name is George Taliferro.

A suspect, Christopher Delrosario, was arrested in Port Jarvis, New York. He is 19.

 

  • Melvin Krazyhandz Ware

    Shit is out of control!