Lunar New Year 2022 will be celebrated this coming Tuesday, February 1, but Year of the Tiger festivities will continue for several weeks. The annual Firecracker Ceremony will happen on Tuesday starting at 11 a.m. in Sara D. Roosevelt Park. “Super Saturday” lion dances will take place throughout Chinatown on February 12. And Chinatown’s big Lunar New Year Parade happens February 20.
Think! Chinatown is hosting a series of free community cultural events in and around Chinatown:
- [Tue Feb 1, 11am] T!C Lantern Artist Residency Reveal on Mott St — The neighborhood lions will be out and about, come join the fun!
- [Thurs Feb 3, 6pm] T!C Virtual Program: New Years in Chinatown & the Year of the Tiger Hat — Join our hands-on crafts workshop and learn about the Chinese tradition of the fantastically designed Tiger Hats!
- [Feb 3 – Feb 11] Make New Year Decorations for Chinatown Businesses — Follow T!C’s online template and video to create your own Tiger Hat inspired decoration.
- [Sat Feb 5, 1-4pm] T!C New Years Party at South Street Seaport — Lots of family friendly activities, plus Rose Wong’s “We The Lantern” will be making an appearance!
- [Super Saturday, Feb 12, 4-6:30pm] T!C New Year’s Block Party on Mosco St — The biggest day of the year for Manhattan’s Chinatown! Lions from across NYC will be dancing in the street…and at our newsstand! YiuYiu will be spinning records from her Chinatown collection at the newsstand.