LES Bites: Balvanera Kudos, 100 Montaditos Opens, SKINnY Bar & Lounge Returns
Some midweek food and drink news around the neighborhood.
- Balvanera, the new Argentinian restaurant at 152 Stanton St., is lining up some love in its early going: critic Gael Greene liked the buccatini and Zagat’s spotlights the crudo.
- Greene has been in the neighborhood a lot recently: she also filed this glowing report on East Village newcomer Root and Bone, which is racking up lots of kudos, including a feature in Ralph Lauren magazine this month.
- Now open: 100 Montaditos, a franchise of a Spanish fast-food chain, has replaced health food store Earthmatters at 177 Ludlow St. The eatery offers a huge menu centered around its namesake dish, a tapas-sized sandwich featuring a split roll filled with a wide variety of toppings: meat, seafood, vegetables and even sweets, served on chocolate bread.
- The SKINnY Bar & Lounge at 174 Orchard St. reopens in soft-launch mode this weekend after two years of renovations. Their rep tells us the new bar will have a bigger space, more seating and an upstairs area for parties, along with late-night food and brunch. An official launch, featuring a new cocktail menu, is in the works. More info on the bar’s Facebook page.
- Coming soon to 71 Clinton St., the former home of San Marzano pizzeria: Seoul Chicken, the brainchild of Chef Chaz Brown, formerly of Fatty Crab. It’s a “wing bar” where East Asian meets American southern and the sauces include gochujang buffalo, palm sugar and kalamansi, sriracha and honey and habanero kimchi. Chickens are also available by the half or whole, along with snacks and sides like kimchi fries with miso aioli. There’s a full bar with cocktails, beer and wine. The restaurant will serve lunch and dinner seven days a week, and offer takeout and delivery as well. Tentative opening date is set for Aug. 28.