Today’s food notes and a sign of the times at an LES music venue:
- Notice anything different outside Arlene’s Grocery? The awning is gone but via Facebook, they advise: “stay tuned for a fresh new look.”
- Serious Eats asks Pig & Khao’s Leah Cohen what she likes to eat on the Lower East Side.
- Openhouse has two new pop ups at Bowery Station. Sunday night, Chef Marie Aflak of Grapvine in Bay Ridge is bringing home style Lebanese classics to the Lower East Side. On May 30, Sean John of Spur Tree on Orchard Street will be preparing an “Asian inspired Jamaican” feast. Click the links for ticket info.
- A few updates from Fatta Cuckoo on Clinton Street; the boozy weekend brunch, known as “Drunch,” has been expanded to Fridays; they’re now keeping the kitchen open on weekends from 11 a.m. to closing, rather than closing in the late afternoons; and there are new menu items. More info on Fatta Cuckoo’s web site.
- Blue Ribbon has opened a beer garden at the Thompson LES Hotel. We popped in last night and found there’s plenty of space for you on the Allen Street patio. Eater has the details.