Water, Food, Provisions: Thursday Resources
City, state and federal relief efforts are starting to take effect on the Lower East Side this afternoon. The National Guard, NYC Service and the Salvation Army are beginning to knock on doors in blacked-out high rises to help home-bound residents. Meanwhile, local businesses continue to rise to the challenge of being powerless for four days straight, including Lower East Side icons Russ & Daughters and Katz’s. Here’s what we know this afternoon about water, food and provisions, as well as local restaurants and bars that are welcoming diners.
- Beginning at 3 p.m. today, food and water distribution sites will open at the following locations: 10th Street between Avenues C and D, Catherine Street between Monroe and Cherry streets (Smith Houses playground), Pitt and East Houston streets (Hamilton Fish Park), Grand and Clinton streets (water only), Bowery and Division Street (Confucius Plaza).
- Con Edison began distributing dry ice in Union Square Park at 14th Street and Union Square West at noon today; until supplies last.
- Russ & Daughters, 179 E. Houston St., is open until 5 p.m. today.
- Katz’s, 205 E. Houston St., is open until 4 p.m. today and will be open tomorrow and every day until the power returns, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. They can cook with gas and have most of their menu, including pastrami and hot dogs. Yes, there are tourists there, but it’s not too crowded at the moment.
- The Army-Navy store at 177 E. Houston is open.
- Verlaine, 110 Rivington St., opens at 3 p.m. today, kitchen open at 5 p.m.
- Lolita Bar, 266 Broome St., will be open tonight “power or not.”
- Sons of Essex, 133 Essex, and Cocktail Bodega, 205 Chrystie, are collecting canned good donations and offering “beers, cocktails, board games and candles” tonight.
- Fatta Cuckoo, 63 Clinton St., is open “1 p.m. ’til late” today and every day until the power comes back. They are serving soup, sandwiches, draft beer and cocktails; everything is $5.
- Atlas Cafe, 37 Clinton St., is open and serving coffee this afternoon.
- Clandestino, 35 Canal St., plans to open tonight.
- Fontana’s on Eldridge Street is open and has a generator for charging your cell phone.
- Lucky Jack’s on Orchard Street is open.
- Donnybrook on Clinton Street is open.