Here’s an update on last week’s fire at 68 Thompson Street in Soho. City Councilwoman Margaret Chin has been helping residents displaced due to the blaze, which broke out in the apartment building last Friday morning. The Red Cross and Salvation Army have placed some of the families in hotels. Most people, however, are staying with family and friends.
According to Kelly Magee, the councilwoman’s communications director, contact has been made with people in 27 out of 39 apartments. One family they’re assisting lived in a rent stabilized unit at 68 Thompson and is now staying in a Brooklyn hotel. Magee said the goal is to find housing for them in Manhattan, since one of the kids, an 11-year old boy, starts school in the city next month.
Chin’s office is coordinating a legal aid meeting next week for the residents and they’re helping them establish a tenant association.