You might have noticed this little storefront on the north side of Grand Street, just west of Bowery. Turns out the Tofu Guy (otherwise known as the Tung Woo Company) is the “highest rated” Lower East Side restaurant on Yelp! That’s right. Reviewers rave about the fresh, silky tofu pudding served here (the “Best in Manhattan,” they say).
Lately we’ve been spending quite a bit of time trolling Yelp and other web sites — researching food destinations for our new restaurant guide. Yelp’s credibility problems are, of course, well known. The “Tofu Guy’s” top ranking is based on just 21 (very enthusiastic) reviews. After the jump, take a look at the top 10 LES restaurants, according to the Yelpers. What do you think? Do these places deserve top billing?
- Tofu Guy – Grand Street & Bowery
- Cafe Katja – 79 Orchard
- Hot Mini Cakes – Southeast corner of Grand & Bowery
- Prosperity Dumpling – 46 Eldridge
- Organic Avenue – 116 Suffolk
- Ling Kee Beef Jerkey – 42 Canal
- Cup & Saucer – 89 Canal
- Wah Fung #1 Fast Food – 79 Chrystie
- Creperie – 136 Ludlow
- Jadis – 42 Rivington