As the weekend appears on the horizon, here’s a roundup of Lower East Side food and restaurant news.
- Mission Chinese wins a Restaurant of the Year award. (Eater) Meanwhile, what’s up with chef Danny Bowien’s hair, anyway? (Refinery 29)
- Clinton Street newcomer Pig & Khao lands on a “Five New NYC Restaurants to Try Now” list. (Fodor’s)
- It’s time to order your Thanksgiving pies. Panade Puffs & Pastries on Eldridge Street has traditional pumpkin, pecan and apple, as well as banana cream, coconut cream and coconut key lime. If pie isn’t your thing, proprietor Yvette Ho is also offering bread pudding. Prices start at $22 and orders must be in by Monday for Wednesday pickup. Call 646-319-5816 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Perfect Picnic, formerly of Clinton Street, opens today in its new spot, a subterranean space at 123 Ludlow St. They still have picnic supplies, but the new focus is on mini-baguette sandwiches. Smoked duck with arugula and sour cherry compote, anyone? (Thrillist)
- A post-Sandy love letter to Russ & Daughters. (Immaculate Infatuation)