LES Bites: Free Pizza, Yunnan Kitchen Expands, Cochinita Dos Happy Hour, Contra Chef
Some Thursday afternoon food news from around the neighborhood.
- New Amsterdam Market returns with its farm-fresh produce and artisan edibles Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Check out the list of vendors here.
- Via Tribunali is giving away free pizza tomorrow, June 20, from 5 to 7 p.m., as part of a fundraiser. Small neapolitan pies are available in three variations: marinara, margherita and salame. Pints of Peroni will be on special for $3. The pizzeria, at 122 Ludlow St., is raising money for Junglekeepers, a nonprofit whose mission is to support the native ecosystems of the rainforest in Eastern Peru.
- The team behind Yunnan Kitchen, the Southwest Chinese restaurant on Clinton Street, is opening a second restaurant across town, inside the new Hudson Eats complex at Brookfield Place, near the World Trade Center. Proprietor Erika Chou and Chef Doron Wong’s new project is called Northern Tiger, and will feature noodle and dumpling dishes from northern China, where Chou’s family originates. Chou tells us she just signed the lease and the restaurant will launch this fall.
- Cochinita Dos, the new Mexican spot at 49 Canal St., has launched a new happy hour from 4 to 8 p.m. daily. It features $5 nachos and $5 frozen margaritas made from scratch, not with commercial mixes, in three flavors: lime, hibiscus and pineapple-jalapeño. The restaurant also delivers throughout the neighborhood, all the way to the East River.
- Contra’s Fabian von Hauske has been nominated as one of Eater’s “Young Guns.”