Morning Reads: Church Groups in Public Schools, Masaryk Basketball Court, The Elsinore
- Grace Ministries worries about the prospect of being kicked out of a school on Avenue D. Meanwhile the State Senate passes legislation that could allow church groups to stay in public schools. Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, however, says the bill is “seriously flawed,” and could open up school buildings to any organization, including the Ku Klux Klan (NY1, NYT).
- The MTA’s latest estimate for the completion of the Bleecker/Lafayette subway station is June. The new price tag: a whopping $109 million (2nd Ave. Sagas).
- More on that fancy new basketball court at Masaryk Towers (Slam).
- A look at the Elsinore, the Lower East Side’s newest nightlife destination (Thrillist).
- How the upper Lower East Side became the East Village (EV Grieve).