Tiny's Giant Sandwich Shop on Rivington Street just reopened after a renovation.
A midweek roundup of local restaurant and bar happenings:
- Fork in the Road talks to CultureFix proprietor Ari Stern about art and drinking, and says the NYPD is still harassing them.
- Serious Eats visits Lina Frey on Houston and concludes: Though “the plates never quite taste as good as the place looks, gentle prices make it worth a visit.”
- Eater sums up the story of the East Village sushi bar that defied a health department closure and continued serving through the holiday weekend, and then ran a Post photographer off.
- The Wall Street Journal likes Souvlaki GR.
- EV Grieve has photos of HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire” staging a scene at John’s of 12th Street today. (Shooting is scheduled for eastern Grand Street tomorrow.)
We stopped by the opening of LostLES, Michael Brown's debut art installation, at Tiny's Giant Sandwich Shop on Rivington Street Friday night. He teamed up with longtime friend, Tiny's owner Kevin Gregor, to create a panoramic mural inspired by the camera obscura photography of Abelardo Morell. That's Kevin and Michael above- Michael is showing us a "tiny" example's of Morell's work on his IPhone.
The shop, which has two plate glass windows looking out on one of the neighborhood's more lively corners, seemed like the perfect venue for, as Michael puts it a celebration of the "vivid character of the Lower East Side through its distinct architectural heritage." Michael projected an image of a tenament building on Orchard Street on the wall and ceiling of the shop — a guide for the scenic artists who actually painted the mural. As he told EV Grieve, "The resulting effect will appear as a cast silhouette, or reflection,
of the old architecture that has redefined the sculptural space of the
You can see the installation at least through September at Tiny's Giant Sanwich Shop, 129 Rivington Street.
A fixture on Rivington Street, Tiny’s Giant Sandwich Shop recently changed ownership but this unpretentious place remains a neighborhood favorite.
129 Rivington, at Norfolk