A woman was killed this morning when a fire swept through the second floor of 124 Ludlow, a tenement building near Rivington Street.
The first call came into 911 shortly after 11am. Around 60 firefighters brought the blaze under control in about a half hour, according to the Daily News.
Several tenants told DNAinfo that the woman was in her 70s who lived alone and used a walker. They said she’d been using her stove top to keep warm. “There was no heat or hot water in that building this morning,” said Adrian Cutner, 65. “She turned on the oven for heat. She was too close to the stove and she went up like a fireball.” He said a neighbor forced her way into the woman’s apartment to try to save her life. She was also injured. A woman getting medical treatment outside the building said, “She had her burners on. I told her not to but she didn’t have enough heat.”