In post-weekend food news around the neighborhood:
- New York Magazine explains how wd-50’s Wylie Dufresne invented an edible eggshell.
- Serious Eats likes the cubano sandwich at El Castillo de Jagua and weighs in on the city’s best doughnuts, including neighborhood faves Falai, Babycakes, The Doughnut Plant and Peels.
- The NYT’s Sam Sifton on where to take your teenagers: Katz’s for pastrami and Motorino for pizza.
- NYC The Blog reports that the health department closed the century-old Mulberry Street Bar on March 22.
- The Third Annual United States Bartenders Guild Cocktail Jam pits 12 of the nation’s mixologists in a competition at The Lounge at The Astor Center tonight, with half the proceeds benefiting Japan tsunami relief. $35 // 6 pm, 399 Lafayette St. (at E. 4th St.)