These days on the Lower East Side, developers will build on any lot they can get their hands on, no matter how small (the lot, not the hands).
In the past few days, Buildings Department permits surfaced for a 6-story residential building at 14 Clinton St., right next door to the second oldest synagogue building constructed as a Jewish house of worship in New York City.
According to city finance records, a garden area adjacent to Congregation Chasam Sopher, was sold in November of last year for $4.1 million. New York Yimby first noticed the DOB filing for a new 8,000 square foot building on this narrow lot. The plans from Fischer + Makooi Architects call for 6,429 square feet of residential, and 1,479 of commercial space.
The synagogue was built in 1853 by Congregation Rodeph Shalom. which long ago relocated to the Upper West Side. Congregation Chasam Sopher was founded by Polish Jews on the Lower East Side. Like most shuls in the neighborhood, it fell on hard times. But the building underwent a multi-million renovation that was competed on 2006.
Hogg Holdings has a few ongoing projects on the Lower East Side. Just around the corner from the Clinton Street parcel, it’s wrapping up construction on 287 East Houston St. That 27-unit condo tower should be ready for occupancy in the fall.
If you’re interested in the historic synagogue building, the LES Jewish Conservancy is leading a tour there Aug. 20.