Here Are the Lower East Side Street Closures For the NYC Half Marathon
Over the weekend, we told you about the NYC Half Marathon, which is going to be coming through the Lower East Side for the first time on Sunday, March 18. More details are now being released regarding street closures and parking restrictions on that morning.
As you can see in the flyer below, several streets will be closed from 6:30 a.m. to noon, as runners make their way across the Manhattan Bridge on their way to the finish line in Central Park. Impacted thoroughfares include:
- Canal Street from Chrystie Street to Rutgers Street
- East Broadway from Rutgers Street to Grand Street
- Grand Street from East Broadway to Columbia Street
- Columbia Street from Grand Street to East Houston Street
- FDR Drive above East Houston Street
Race officials showed up last night at Community Board 3’s meeting. They did not receive a warm welcome. The district office and community leaders are, to put it mildly, displeased that they’re only now finding out about an event with a huge local impact (the city approved permits last fall). We’ll have more details later, but you can watch the meeting for yourself here. The relevant portion of the feed begins at about the 42 minute mark.