More Intercity Bus Stop Applications Coming Up in June
Local residents in the area below East Broadway and east of Allen Street have been mobilizing in the past couple of months against more intercity bus stops. It looks like they’ll be doing some more organizing in the weeks ahead. According to Community Board 3’s web site, two more companies will go before the transportation committee June 12.
Rockledge Bus Tour Inc. wants a stop at 160 East Broadway, just to the west of Essex St. In October of last year, CB3 urged the city’s Department of Transportation to reject another application for this location. But the DOT approved the permit anyway for AA Bus Inc. In a separate application, Classic Coach Tours is asking for a permit at 45 Allen St., on the west side of the block.
This week, the community board affirmed the transportation committee’s recommendation to oppose permits at 50 and 59 Canal. It remains to be seen whether CB3’s opinion will make a difference when the Department of Transportation makes its final determination regarding those applications. As previously reported, the community board next month will consider a resolution asking the city to adhere to a temporary moratorium for new permits on Canal Street. We’ll have more on the issue in the next few days.
The transportation committee will be addressing some other interesting issues next month. Here’s the full agenda:
Thursday, June 12 at 6:30pm — Seward Park Community Room – 266 East Broadway
1. FY’16 District Needs Statement & Budget Consult Agenda
2. Rivington Street Bike Lane-consideration of changing lane from south side to north side of street
3. NYCDOT Presentation on Tompkins Square Park Neighborhood Slow Zone
4. Consideration of temporary moratorium on siting new intercity bus stops on Canal Street
5. DEP presentation: overview of the scope of work, schedule, impacts of Grand Street reconstruction and community outreach process
6. Revise Street Co-naming Guidelines
Bus Stop Permit Applications
7. Classic Coach & Tours Inc., 45 Allen Street (west side of street between Grand and Hester Streets)
8. Rockledge Bus Tour Inc., 160 East Broadway