Mars Bar Returns, Saro Bistro Closes? Bar License News for May
Here’s our first look at the bars and restaurants seeking to obtain or upgrade alcohol permits in May, including the possible resurrection of Mars Bar.
There are several items of note on the agenda for the liquor licensing subcommittee of Community Board 3, which meets May 12 to consider applications from Lower East Side and East Village establishments.
- Mars Bar, 11-17 Second Ave.: As first hinted by the Commercial Observer back in January 2013, the late, lamented East Village bar is apparently returning in some form to its old spot, following the demolition and redevelopment of its building, which is now known as Jupiter 21. An applicant using the name “Paul Mil Cafe” is seeking a full liquor license there. Mars Bar owner Hank Penza gave Bedford + Bowery some details late yesterday, saying he has taken on new partners for the project and that plans for the 6,000-square-food space are just beginning to take shape.
- Black Tree, 131 Orchard St.: As we reported last week, owners of the 1-year-old sandwich shop are looking to expand into a second storefront next door, as well as extend their closing time.
- Saro Bistro, 102 Norfolk St.: A new applicant called La Contenta is asking for a new full bar license at the space occupied by Saro, the Eastern European and Balkan bistro. Saro has been closed for the month of April, with a note on the door indicating the closure was temporary. The building, which also contains the Back Room speakeasy in the basement, changed hands this spring.
- Gallery Sensei, 278 Grand St.: The 8-year-old gallery, which opened in January at its current, 2,000-square-foot space between Eldridge and Forsyth streets, is seeking a full liquor license under the name Sensei.
Here’s the full agenda:
SLA & DCA Licensing Committee
Monday, May 12 at 6:30pm, Community Board 3 Office, 59 E. Fourth Street (Second Ave/Bowery)
Applicant’s name is followed by current owner if applicable.
Renewal with Complaint
1. Fat Buddha, 212 Ave A (op)
2. Otto’s Shrunken Head, 538 E 14th St (op)
Applications within Saturated Areas
3. To be Determined, 151 Ave A (op)
4. Eight Orange Inc, 13 St Marks Pl (wb)
5. Wine Sur LLC, 37-39 Clinton St (wb)
6. Rouge NYC (Alpha 94 LLC), 94 Rivington St (op)
7. To be Determined, 119 Ave A (op)
Sidewalk Cafe Application
8. Mission Cantina LLC, 172 Orchard St
9. The Derby (Project 6 LLC), 167 Orchard St (op/alt/additional bar in basement, dba change from Tiny Fork)
10. Black Tree (131 Orchard Street Restaurant LLC), 131 Orchard St (op/alt/expand space & extend hours 2am weekdays, 4am weekends)
11. Paul Mil Cafe Inc, 11-17 2nd Ave (op/alt/gut renovation) (Mars Bar)
12. The General/Bow/Finale (Bakers Dozen Associates LLC), 199 Bowery (op/alt/change dancing from cellar to back of ground floor space, change bakery to sushi bar)
New Liquor License Applications
13. The Copper Still (MSB Restaurants LLC), 151 2nd Ave (op) (Ryan’s Irish Pub)
14. Yori NYC Corp, 119 1st Ave (op) (Dok Suni’s Restaurant)
15. 279 E Houston Corp, 279 E Houston St (wb)
16. King Bee Restaurant LLC, 424 E 9th St (op) (Exchange Alley)
17. Bareburger (Bare City Two LLC), 85 2nd Ave (upgrade to op)
18. Sensei (Gallery Sensei LLC), 278 Grand St (op)
19. La Contenta (La Conteneta Inc), 102 Norfolk St (op) (Saro)
20. Cacio e Pepe (Peprico Inc), 182 2nd Ave (upgrade to op)
Corporate Change with Complaint
21. Veloce Pizzeria (Ugly Kitchen) (FTCCM LLC), 103 1st Ave (op)
Items not heard at Committee
22. Black Cat Cafe Inc, 172 Rivington St (wb)
23. Cho-Ko Restaurant Inc, 59 1st Ave (wb)
24. Paul Mil Cafe Inc, 11-17 2nd Ave (op/corporate change) (Mars Bar)
25. Maryanns (Vargomez Corp), 300 E 5th St (op/corporate change)
26. Mary O’s (Rolo Rest LLC), 32 Ave A (op/corporate change)
b=beer only | wb=wine & beer only | op=liquor, wine, & beer | alt=alterations