Loisaida Festival Returns For Memorial Day Weekend
The Loisaida Festival is back in the neighborhood this holiday weekend. Have a look at this year’s lineup:Friday, May 23, 2014
7:30pm-9:30pm/ CityLore, 56 E 1st Street. / Admission free Performing Loisaida: A Poets’ Jam in the Spirit of the New Rican Village Some of the guest poet/performers include: Sandra María Esteves, Jesús Papoleto Meléndez, David Henderson, Edwin Torres, LaTasha N. Nevada Diggs, and Urayoán Noel, along with musician Boby Sanabria and one or more special guests. The event will also feature screening of rare footage from the era. Saturday, May 24, 2014
2:00pm-6:00pm / New Loisaida Center, 710 E 9th Street / Admission free The Production of Nabe: Loisaida’s land-use and environmental activism, past and present
- Screenings: 3 vintage documentaries about Loisaida’s sweat-equity, community garden and environmental initiatives since the 1970’s.
- Real-time Oral Histories: Historians interview old-time activists/players from Loisaida’s urban appropriation movement.
- Talk/Presentation: Contemporary land use issues, recent development and its environmental impacts in the LES by GOLES
- Debut of “Memorias de Loisaida”, a theatrical piece by artists in residence Papel Machete.
12:00pm-5:00pm / Ave C btw 6th & 12th Streets/ Loisaida Street Festival Kick Off Parade: Featuring Felix Milan Little League, the NY Twirling & Marching Band, and contingents of diverse performers/participants from the 2014 Festival’s edition. Main Stage: Los Pleneros de la 21, Romance de Teatro SEA , Mimi Maura, Flor de Toloache, Flaco Navaja and the Razor Blades and the Loisaida Awards. Street Level Programming: Arts, Crafts, Culture: Display of crafts by PRIDA members, other emergent artists, and local cultural organizations will converge on the avenue to showcase their output of ethnic and cultural expressions. Some of the organization includes:
- El Museo Del Barrio- Art and Craft for kids and families
- Afro-Inspira Bomba Dance workshop- by Yelimara Concepción and Mike Pacheco.
- NY Capoeira Center- Capoeira Dance Demonstration
- Domino Tournament- sponsored by local bodegas/ALBOR