LES Bites: Ivan Ramen Approaches, Antonioni’s Slideshow, Tea at NuMu
It’s a newsy week on the Lower East Side restaurant scene. Some midweek headlines:
- In a very personal interview, ramen guru Ivan Orkin tells The Daily News his Clinton Street spot will open later this month.
- Eater has a slideshow of Antonioni’s, the new Chrystie Street Italian eatery from the team behind Cafe Gitane.
- Afternoon tea is a thing right now: Time Out New York samples the options at the Hester Street Cafe at the New Museum, where you get a choice of seven varieties of loose leaf, four kinds of mini sandwiches, and sweets by Cafe Grumpy.
- New York magazine is out with its 2014 best of the city issue, and there are lots of LES spots on its list: Taquitoria and Mission Cantina star in the Cal-Mex category, and Fung Tu gets a nod for its whole fish.
- Open City Mag takes an in-depth look at the city’s restaurant inspections system, specifically how it intersects with ethnic cuisine, with a focus on Chinatown and also an interview with Yunnan Kitchen proprietor Erika Chou.
- Katz’s Deli is suing a food truck called Katz & Dogz, claiming trademark infringement.