LES Bites: The General Reviewed, Black Tree Sandwich Shop Opens, Malt & Mold Celebrates
Today’s Lower East Side restaurant news:
- The Daily News says chef Hung Huynh has “clearly got something to prove (at The General on the Bowery). And he’s doing it with a thoughtful, precise and surprisingly well-executed menu that’s better than it needs to be for the (restaurant’s) bottle-service, wanna-be crowd.”
- Time Out’s Jordana Rothman believes the flavor combinations at Pearl & Ash are not quite working.
- Black Tree Sandwich Shop opens today at 131 Orchard St. Sandy Dee Hall and Macnair Sillick got their start in Brooklyn; you may have tasted their sandwiches at the Union Square Greenmarket or Pushcart Coffee. You can check out more information on their web site.
- It’s been awhile since we heard about “Contra,” the new restaurant from Jeremiah Stone and Fabian Von Hauske at 138 Orchard St. Grub Street reports they’ll be serving a $55 tasting menu that will change every day.
- Malt & Mold, the beer, cheese and specialty grocery at 221 East Broadway, celebrates its one-year anniversary on Saturday. From 3-6 p.m. they’ll be passing out free samples, including Goose Island Beer, cheese, salami and ice cream. There will also be live bluegrass music and a hat sample sale from Cha Cha’s House of Ill Repute.