Volunteers Out in Force This Weekend on the LES
The power is back on here on the Lower East Side but there’s still much to be done this weekend before the neighborhood returns to normalcy. Volunteers are fanning out across the LES and Chinatown today, distributing meals and making sure elderly residents are okay. Here’s a roundup of some of the volunteer efforts underway:
- This morning Two Bridges Neighborhood Council is going door-to-door at 80-82 Rutgers Street, distributing food and water to seniors.
- CAAAV is conducting a Chinatown “walk-through” until 2 p.m., checking on those in need. You can drop off donations at their office, 46 Hester Street.
- Both today and tomorrow volunteers needed at a distribution site at 10th Street and Avenue D. Come by anytime before 5 p.m. to help distribute food.
- Food will be distributed once again from 1-5 p.m. today at these locations: Catherine between Cherry and Monroe streets; Pitt and East Houston; Confucius Plaza; 413 Grand Street (water only).
- Donations of food, water and blankets are needed at 200 Madison Street (Rutgers Houses), anytime before 5 p.m.
- Henry Street Settlement is distributing food until 3 p.m. at 265 Henry Street.
(Thanks to miLES for some of the info above).
Today most restaurants and shops are reopening. They not only lost out on a lot of business in the past week but (in the case of restaurants and grocery stores) were forced to throw out many thousands of dollars in contaminated food. So get out there and support our local businesses this weekend, and remember to show some patience as they get back into the swing of things!