Sunday Volunteer Opportunities, Donation Sites on the Lower East Side
Here are today’s volunteer/donation opportunities on the Lower East Side. There are still needs in our neighborhood, but the focus for a lot of aid groups has now shifted to the Rockaways, Staten Island, Red Hook and other harder hit areas. You might consider donating food and clothing and/or volunteering in these areas! Tiny’s Giant Sandwich Shop, at Rivington and Norfolk, is accepting donations for the Rockaways and donating all coffee proceeds to relief efforts in the Rockaways. More info here.
- Good Old Lower East Side is asking for volunteers to report to 169/171 Avenue B at noon. According to their Facebook page, volunteers should “bring a flashlight, a pen, a clipboard/hard surface, and a book bag or cart/stroller to carry supplies Also, continue to bring donations like non-perishable foods, blankets, flashlights and batteries to the Sixth Street Community Center (638 E. 6th St.) between Avenues B and C.”
- CAAAV is shifting its resources to the Rockaways and Coney Island. You can drop off donations at their office, 46 Hester Street, until 2 p.m. They’re also looking for drivers to transport the donations to these locations.
- The East River Park Track Club will be joining the Parks Dept for a post-Hurricane Sandy clean up in East River Park today at 10 a.m. Meet at the track house located on the park drive at East 6th St. Club contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lost Weekend, 45 Orchard Street, is collecting winter clothes and blankets for the Rockaways until 6 p.m.
- Ruff Club is hosting a pet drive at 34 Avenue A between noon-3 p.m.
- Food will be distributed today from 1-5 p.m. at the Hamilton Fish Rec Center at Pitt and East Houston streets. They may or may not need more donations/volunteers. We’ll followup with more info.