Morning Reads: Big Box Mountain, Gum-Chewing Crook, Signs of Life at Ludlow Hotel
- What the Lower East Side really needs, says one architect, is a bunch of big box stores shrouded in a fake mountain (Co.Design).
- Alleged gum-chewing thief busted after $3500 jacket swiped from John Varvatos store on the Bowery (Post).
- Soho activist Sean Sweeney believes Council member Margaret Chin chose not to re-appoint him to Community Board 2 due to his opposition to the Soho BID. Chin says the BID issue was not the reason, but rather, a poor attendance record and a desire to give another community activist a chance to serve. Sweeney was reappointed anyway, by Borough President Scott Stringer (City Hall).
- Rep. Nydia Velazquez is one of several veteran lawmakers potentially being targeted by a “Super PAC” backed by a “Texas construction mogul.” (WSJ)
- Work has resumed on the terminally stalled hotel at 180 Ludlow, perhaps (EV Grieve).