Family Recipe on Eldridge Street is getting some blog love this week.
Some mid-week restaurant news around the neighborhood:
- Examining the vegan and vegetarian options at Eldridge Street newcomer Family Recipe. (Fork In The Road)
- Speaking of Family Recipe, it’s one of two LES venues highlighted as affordable, enjoyable alternatives to expensive hotspots. Sauce, Frank Prizinzano’s new Italian joint at Rivington and Allen, is the other. (Eater)
- Gaia Italian Cafe on East Houston Street celebrates its first anniversary tonight; stop by to congratulate them and sample some goodies between 5 and 8 p.m. (TLD inbox)
- The Meatball Shop’s Michael Chernow has a second career: modeling. (GrubStreet)
- Donate to support Holocaust survivors; get homemade knishes. (KnisheryNYC)
Chinese New Year Celebration, Gouverneur Healthcare Services.
We were at Gouverneur Healthcare Services yesterday, where a performance by the little ones from the Chinatown Daycare Center was a highlight of the skilled nursing facility’s Chinese New Year Celebration. Seven centenarians were honored during the lively program, which also featured a traditional lion dance and a Buddhist prayer ceremony. The event was held in Gouverner’s brand new ambulatory care pavilion. Among the invited guests: City Comptroller John Liu and Community Board 1 Chair Julie Menin. More photos after the jump.
The five-story walk-up building at 51 Hester St. changed hands last week.
The five-story building at 51 Hester St., near the corner of Essex Street, has been sold to a new owner.
Land records dated in late December but just filed last week show that a corporation called Wan You Inc. with an address of 99 Canal St. bought the building from the Kadouri family for $2.2 million.
The building, which houses the boutique A NY Thing on the ground floor and apartments on the upper floors, had been on the market since July 2010. Records show it had been in the Kadouri family name, under various corporate names, since the 1970s.
A perfect "LES-HENGE." Looking southwest from Grand Street. Photo by James Richards - jamesricharsdesign.com
We’ll have rain showers in the morning, then clearing. Cloudy with a high of 62. Happy February!