Food Wire: Eddie Huang, Stellina, Peels, Meatball Shop, Bowery Beef, Above Allen
Here’s the midweek roundup of food news around the neighborhood.
- LES “food personality” Eddie Huang makes Time, whose Josh Ozersky asserts: “Huang gets by on a cocktail of personality, hustle, some luck, some cooking ability, but most of all a really compelling ability to communicate who he is to the world.”
- The NYT’s FloFab says Stellina, the new dessert parlor by the folks at Sorella, will open Sunday on Allen Street.
- In a one-year anniversary Q&A with Eater, Meatball Shop guys Michael Chernow and Daniel Holzman dish on their expansion to Williamsburg and the West Village, and how they feel about imitators.
- Charleston City Paper lauds the Southern cuisine at Peels.
- Fork in the Road likes Bowery Beef’s “prodigious mess” of a roast beef sandwich.
- Above Allen, the rooftop lounge at the Thompson LES hotel, plans a “Sans Bridge & Tunnel” night and revival of its pool parties, telling Downtown Diaries the hotspot is returning to its status as “a place where you can expect a beautiful crowd with a downtown vibe, stunning views and an intelligent choice of music.”